[LMB] 5GU holy days recapped

Lois Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Tue Jun 22 16:11:32 BST 2021

[LMB] 5GU holy days recapped
Raymond Collins rcrcoll6 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 05:50:12 BST 2021

RC:  Do the Gods have a realm where they interact?

LMB:  Er, all of them?  They are all there, everywhere, all the time.
It might help to think of it as each god "taking point" in Their season.

At the risk of explaining how sausages are made, it might also help to
think of the 5GU gods, as I do, as emergent properties of the world.
Not separate -- no dualism here, thankyouverymuch.  I touch on this in
the recent Smart Bitches interview.

If you take the emergent properties model, physics is emergent from the
underlying structure of the universe, chemistry is emergent from
physics, biology is emergent from chemistry, and life and mind are
emergent from biology.  Take it up one step or level further, and the
gods are the emergent property of all.  So matter and spirit are not two
things; spirit (or mind, if you like) is an inherent expression of
matter, generated by it.

Totally not like real-world religions with creator gods; profoundly
different from, say, the Catholicism with which it often gets confused
or conflated.  A lot of readers, I observe in reviews, seem to be
tone-deaf to serious theological matters, taking their notions of
religion from D&D games I suppose, and blow right past these underlying
concerns of the stories without them registering, which gives them a
very different read from those who do.  "Speculative theology" is a good
call.

Ta, L.

(There's a whole 'nother discussion on whether the 5GU gods are inside
or outside time, or whether anything parallel to notions of eternity
apply.  Since notions of eternity really upwhack agency in free will, I
am on the whole inclined to think They are inside time with the rest of
the observable universe that creates/generates Them.)

L.