[LMB] [OT] Atlantic crossings

Elizabeth Holden alzurite at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 19:46:29 BST 2021

Markus said:

> the roman ships were not bad ... the mediterranean basically has two
settings: close to dead
> calm or "are you shitting me?" stormy ... and their ships had to handle
that ..

> they were not completely up to viking standards, but that would also be a
few hundred years
> more development time

I thought the thing that gave the VIkings superior sailing power was not so
much the strength of their boats (which were nonetheless superior in build)
but the excellence of their navigation Whether this was because of the "sun
stones" (a device acting like a compass) or simply advanced understanding
of the ocean is unclear, at least to me.

namaste,
Elizabeth

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>