[LMB] [OT] Atlantic crossings, was Centrifugal gravity, was Re: Cordelia's College sport

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Thu Jun 24 20:15:03 BST 2021

On 24/06/2021 19:20, Sylvia McIvers wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 12:05 AM Matthew George<matt.msg at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> The Romans thought all people worshipped the game gods, with different
>> customs.  Except those weird Jews.
>>
>> How would they have responded to the religious belief systems of the native
>> Americans if they had encountered them?
>>
>> The Greeks & Romans had a lot of nature spirits to go along with the super
> powered crew on Olympus.  They had trickster gods.  They might have had
> more overlap than you think.

Plus the Romans' view of "we all worship the same gods" was not
theological in the same way as the Abrahamic religions' "it's all
Yahweh, just with different names", it was just gods is gods. You want
me to worship yours? Sure, tell me their names and what rituals we need
to perform, what's one more god? They didn't just worship the pantheon
we normally think of when we think of Roman gods (Jupiter, Mars, etc),
each household had a household god, prominent families had family gods
(with rituals kept proprietary, in the family), etc.

The problem with Jews was not the god they were worshiping, it was that
they would not reciprocate: they claimed their G*d was the only god, and
absolutely refused to worship any others. (Had Jews agreed to add
Jupiter, and, say,  Augustus to their worship, Romans would have had no
problem with building a temple to Yahweh, too).