[LMB] OT: IQ Tests

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 29 13:09:36 BST 2021

From: WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com>

I?be seen a lot of things on the media about IQ tests that I find ridiculous.
Two characters take the test and one scores two points higher and must now be considered the smarter of the two.
A person scores high and changes their personality, actions, and opinions on everything.
One test is considered a definitive measure of whatever it is that IQ tests are supposed to measure.
Personally I have taken at least ten IQ tests and have a full standard deviation between my lowest and highest test.
William A Wenrich

Gwynne: I don't know if it's still in fashion, but a while ago some schools were
using the 'Seven kinds of intelligence' theory. IQ tests basically measure literacy
and some maths, and memory (as well as whether or not the person has the
same social background as the person who set the test.) Plus the coping skills to
do tests and not get flustered.

But there's other kinds of smarts: physical, social, musical, artistic and so on.
A brilliant mechanic may not score highly on the IQ test, but the world needs
brilliant mechanics. They weren't using IQ tests when I was working, there was
a collection of tests that measured verbal skills, literacy, memory and a few
other things, and the importance was in the interpretation, and the variation
between the levels in each test. Reducing each child to a single number wasn't
useful at all, it doesn't really tell much about the child. And so often, for various
reasons, it's wrong.

But reducing someone to a single number is such a nice, neat, easy way to deal
with them. Which is always popular.