[LMB] OT: Gender Roles

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 1 18:37:30 BST 2021

Becca Price (becca7108 at gmail.com) wrote:
> I converted from Becky to Becca when I was 40, because I saw how older
> adults with a -y or -ie ending to their name are treated, and I didn't like
> it.
>
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 11:48 PM Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> But terminal vowels in personal names *universally* code for "female".
>> And as one of the one of the most noted documentarians of human
>> sexuality in our field noted, "A girl's name ending in 'a' -- that
>> always suggests a 'C' cup."
> Nope, doesn't fit me.
>
> -Flat-chested Becca.

Were you expecting that you could change your cup size by changing your
name?  That sounds like Piers Anthony channelling late-period Heinlein.
It would wreak havoc in the plastic-surgery industry, while boosting
the bra industry (and other clothing industries) and bogging down the
government records systems. :-)  I'm now trying to get the back of my
brain away from figuring out relevant quasi-punning Xanth titles.

WalterStuartBushell (proto at panix.com) wrote:
> Stranger in a Strang Land as a documentary???

I've been assured by female fannish friends that an annoying proportion
of male fans seem to treat late-period Heinlein as their model for
approaching and relating to female fans.

Joel