[LMB] Spirit Ring, Chapter 3

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 19:21:48 BST 2021

Remember the Spirit Ring?  The discussion we're meant to be having, that
produced the gender roles tangent?  The one no one is bringing up?

So:  Chapter 3.

It's not at all clear to me that the making of spirit rings can ever be
good, even if the person imbued gives permission, given what must be done
to preserve the soul.  The mortality of souls is a point on which this
story diverges from, say, traditional Catholic doctrine.  Traditional
Christian doctrine, really.

It's curious that the salt-and-pepper shaker's powers never come into the
story.  In the light of what we eventually learn about the pepper side's
power, it's a little surprising that it doesn't seem to be involved in the
disastrous conflict and its fallout.  Chekhov's Gun isn't a hard and fast
principle, but never using an introduced element is an odd choice, even
though it makes the story somewhat more realistic.

Matt G.