[LMB] Birthday Tixie

Katrina Long k.m.allis at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 19:25:57 BST 2021

Thank you very much!

A lovely energetic and distracting day after a tough couple of weeks.  It
was very nice to swim there and definitely needed by the end of the day.  I
may have distracted everyone from the planned activities and made the
mistake of mentioning that you can forage and pick rose hips and use them
to make jam and liqueur - with due care given the hairs inside have been
used for itching powder.  I don't think any of the young people were
interested in making jam or fruit liqueur, but Miles' Brilliant idea
involved mass harvesting...  We may have got a bit scratched, but
fortunately the Vorkosigans keep a well-stocked medical cabinet.    I do
hope Miles and Ivan aren't going to use the hairs as itching powder on each
other.  I saw some rosehips being confiscated, but not sure all were
found.

Dinner was lovely.  I tried a bit of the vat meat and couldn't tell the
difference, but the veggies were so good.  Even before Ma Kosti, the
Vorkosgians had an excellent cook.

Katrina
 -
(Small cat Glimmer was hit by a car Monday week ago: she was found by
someone who tried to get her help, but she died on the way to the vet.  She
wasn't quite three.  I still feel like she will come back in, unapologetic,
meowing for fuss, food, more fuss in that order as she's done in the past.
Her sister Artemis seems fine .  Plus we just missed out on NZ  MIQ spots
for December on Tuesday.  But there'll be more chances for the MIQ slots,
and next year might be easier.)

On Thu, 30 Sept 2021 at 06:30, Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:

> The Birthday Tixie comes in, pulling a few stray leaves that fell on him
> out of his hair, and announces:
>
> Today, September 30, is the anniversary of the birth in 1982 of our fellow
> listie Katrina Allis.
>
> For your birthday, Katrina, you get to spend the day with Young!Miles,
> Young!Ivan, Young!Elena and Young!Gregor at Vorkosigan Surleau.  The
> weather is warm and inviting, the water is cool and refreshing should you
> want to swim, and there are all sorts of activities planned.  One that is
> not planned, but happens at every one of these events, is "Protect Miles
> from his latest Brilliant Idea."
>
> Afterward, you are invited to a quiet family dinner with Lord Aral, Lady
> Cordelia, and all the young people, featuring the finest Barrayaran
> cuisine, as well as vat-meat for Lady Cordelia.  If you want to, you can
> try the vat-meat, or stick with the real stuff---or not eat meat at all, as
> you prefer.
>
> And with this, the Tixie goes off for a while, handing his duties over to
> the next in line.

Prayer, he suspected as he hoisted himself up and turned for the door, was
putting one foot in front of the other.  Moving all the same.
Lois McMaster Bujold, _Curse of Chalion_