[LMB] OT: Gender Roles

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 20:52:14 BST 2021

I once found it shocking how little people knew about basic psychology -
the kind of knowledge you get from picking up a textbook for a 101 college
course.  I don't find it shocking any longer.

http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/comm/haselton/unify_uploads/files/Gildersleeve%20et%20al.%20meta-analysis%20in%20press%20Psych%20Bull%20PROOFS%202.23.14.pdf

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/272697#Evolutionary-adaptation

I also used to find it shocking that people would adopt positions, in
online discussions, that a moment or two of using a search engine would
refute - such as that there were no people, or no professionals, or no
particular-type-of-scientists, arguing in favor of a hypothesis.  Certainly
anyone could make a mistake in a moment, but surely people would at least
take a moment to check very strong assertions, or would want to avoid a
claim that could be trivially refuted?  I'm not shocked any more, and I
don't expect that any more.

We don't inhabit the same worlds, Ruchira Mathur.  You are absolutely right.

Matt "try visiting reality, once in a while" G.