[LMB] OT: Jobs and sport

Peter Hews Peterhews at protonmail.com
Sat Oct 2 12:35:07 BST 2021

On Thursday, September 30th, 2021 at 22:49, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:

> If men weren't excluded from female sporting events, the events wouldn't
>
> take place, because they'd be dominated by men. As a group, men are
>
> notably better at athletics. Holds true with the elites, too.
>
> It's almost as though there were different selection principles for the two
>
> sexes for thousands of generations, and for the species we evolved from in
>
> the first place...

Sports are selected so the teams are evenly matched, because that will give the most fun.  We don't choose people for jobs on the basis of who will compete most evenly with the people already doing that job.  Though it does look as if a lot of the resistance to women in the professions, at least recently, is driven by the fear that they would  compete way too effectively with the people already in place and making hiring decisions.

Peter Hews