[LMB] ot: Stephen Fry on Georgette Heyer

Margaret Dean margdean56 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 18:01:50 BST 2021

On Sat, Oct 2, 2021 at 6:02 AM Peter Hews via Lois-Bujold <

> On Friday, October 1st, 2021 at 23:49, <adkinslawfirm at mindspring.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Stephen Fry waxes eloquent on the enduring appeal of Georgette Heyer.
> >

> https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/oct/01/stephen-fry-on-the-enduring-appeal-of-georgette-heyer
> >

> Having had her recommended so often (by this list, inter alia) I tried to
> read "Regency Buck" and couldn't pick it up again by the time I was halfway
> through.  Is that one untypical of her work, or is there just something in
> her plotting that leaves me cold?

Regency Buck was Heyer's first novel set in the Regency, and she hadn't
really hit her stride yet. That novel is a bit prone to infodumps (her
research was showing), and she's also trying to run a mystery plot at the
same time as the romance, so the characterization (especially of the male
lead) suffers a bit.

As people are always saying about Terry Pratchett, don't start with the
first in the series. I'd go with one of the later ones like The Grand Sophy
or Frederica or The Unknown Ajax or Black Sheep or Friday's Child ... to
name a few!

--Margaret Dean, confirmed Heyer fan
  <margdean56 at gmail.com>