[LMB] ot: recommending Georgette Heyer

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Sun Oct 3 23:39:14 BST 2021

On Sat, 2 Oct 2021 16:26:01 +0000, catherine muir <c_muir68 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

>A friend of mine once tried to equate Geogette Heyer with Barbara Cartland.  When I  came down from the ceiling and stopped sputtering, I recommended 3 books – the “waterloo” ones:   that is,  The Spanish Bride (Peninsular Campaign to Waterloo):  An Infamous Army (the Hundred Days): and A Civil Contract (the view from civilian
England).   These are not primarily the comedies of manners we usually recommend; but perhaps Peter might find them more to his taste as historicals?

>(incidentally, my friend commented later that she found the books rather dangerous because “she forgot everything else” while reading them.  Point?)
>
>Oh, and a warning:  Peter,  NEVER read anything by Barbara Cartland.

Horrible, horrible, horrible woman.

Someone dubbed her "Cruelty without beauty", a riff on a cosmetics ad.

She was asked once in an interview if she thought class distinctions
were breaking down, to which she replied: "Obviously, or I'd not be
talking to a person like you."
--
A nation which thinks that it is belief in God and not good law which makes
 people honest does not seem to me very advanced. - Denis Diderot