[LMB] OT: historical analogue for the meteor in The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Mon Oct 4 03:43:55 BST 2021

On Sun, 3 Oct 2021, Raymond Collins wrote:
> Fascinating. If true, this would be the first evidence of a town wiped out
> by a meteor impact. I wonder if they found evidence of any rare Earth
> minerals. That would be quite conclusive.

>From the CBC story:

"So far the team has found some material they think could be from the
meteor, including tiny samples of rare metals often found in meteorites,
but need to do more work to confirm their origin. LeCompte points out that
excavation in the area can be difficult, particularly as much of the local
landscape is currently occupied by Syrian refugees."

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca