[LMB] OT: Names of girls

Kathy C. kcollett at hamilton.edu
Mon Oct 4 14:26:06 BST 2021

On Oct 3, 2021, at 11:28 PM, B Van Look <vanlook19 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Elizabeth started as a variant of Isabel, passing through the
> Ysabet/Elisabet stage in English
> You can find the Ysabet/Elisabet in old parish records.

Other way round, surely.  Elizabeth comes from Hebrew and appears in the Bible (e.g. Mary’s cousin is Elizabeth).  My deep research (i.e. 2 seconds) on the internet indicates that Isabel is a Spanish variant that became popular in England: Isabel "originates as the medieval Spanish form of Elisabeth (ultimately Hebrew Elisheba), Arising in the 12th century, it became popular in England in the 13th century following the marriage of Isabella of Angoulême to the king of England.”

Katherine