[LMB] Birthday Tixie

Elizabeth Holden alzurite at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 05:13:46 BST 2021

(A letter written on the official letterhead of the University of Sergyar,
hastily scribbled.)

5 Oct.

Dear Dr. Tora Smulders-Srinavasan,

I wish you a happy 47th birthday, and a life of prosperity and joy.

I do hope you don't mind being approached in this informal Betan manner - I
am writing not in my official capacities with the government of Sergyar,
but as a supporter of the University here.  and the magnificent faculty
they have assembled in the field of biomedical science, a subject that has
always been dear to my heart. And my goodness, so badly needed.

It is our wish that you will celebrate your birthday on the campus here as
my guest, with a small garden party that will (I fear) contain most of the
scientists on this planet who have admired your work from afar. They may
have questions about your research, but I'll do my best to steer them to
the marmalade scones and glitterberry wine and keep them from pestering you
too much. I'm sure you will enjoy seeing our new state-of-the-art labs and
research department.

It won't all be work. It'll be fun.

In anticipation,

Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan