[LMB] Spirit Ring, Chapter 3

brazee howard at brazee.net
Thu Oct 7 15:43:27 BST 2021

> On Oct 7, 2021, at 8:27 AM, Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What's really scary is that Stormbringer was not unique.  It had its
> "brother" sword, Mournblade, and in one story Elric, using his latest
> Bat-Power that Moorcock had given him without any advance notice to the
> readers, summoned a whole bunch of other runeblades to take care of
> business.

The tradition of magic swords is huge.   One fun one is Lawrence Watt-Evan’s Misenchanted sword which would always kill, but at some random time would kill its wielder.

There are examples of clay sling stones with curses stamped on them.   I always thought that would be a useful fantasy tool.

I suspect magic lamps started from one story, as they don’t make much sense.

Rings, though are jewelry worn by the rich and powerful.   And they often have gems.   I found Moorcock’s end-of-time “magic” rings interesting.

What other devices have had souls/spirits embedded in them?