[LMB] Heinlein and Bujold

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 7 22:50:28 BST 2021

Matija Grabnar <lmb at matija.com> wrote:
> Once, when I was ... probably around 10, I got my hands on a translation
> of a Russian SF book.
>
> I don't remember much, other than it involved a crash on a high gravity
> planet, one of the protagonists was called "Wind Gift" and the society
> "back home" was glorious communism. I do remember it bored me to tears
> and turned me off all Eastern-European SF writers (other than Stanislaw
> Lem).

I have a couple of anthologies edited by Asimov: _Soviet Science
Fiction_ and _More Soviet Science Fiction_.  They're stories translated
from Russian.  I gave up partway into the second one; I found them
*very* slow going.  They were generally all about the triumph of
communism and its spread outward from Earth, and (to me) didn't seem to
be very well written.  Part of that may have been from the translation.
But I found myself wondering if the books had been intended to be
propaganda-ish: "look at how bad the Russians are at writing SF!"

Joel