[LMB] Spirit Ring, Chapter 3 - magic devices

brazee howard at brazee.net
Fri Oct 8 13:30:06 BST 2021

Devices with personality will often have a magical being’s essence.   I hesitate to call them souls, as there also is a tradition that only humans have souls.    But animals have worked.

There are statues that have come alive with their own “souls”, as in Pygmalion or The Iron Giant.

But Science Fiction has had people’s brains or memories implanted in mechanical bodies.   I find those harder to accept than fantasy soul transferring, as our personalities are strongly affected by brain structure, hormones, and other chemicals.    Fantasy bypasses that desire for realism.

But I am getting ahead of myself.