[LMB] Heinlein and Bujold

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 8 16:51:58 BST 2021

Fred <fred.fredex at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 5:50 PM Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a couple of anthologies edited by Asimov: _Soviet Science
>> Fiction_ and _More Soviet Science Fiction_.  They're stories translated
>> from Russian.  I gave up partway into the second one; I found them
>> *very* slow going.  They were generally all about the triumph of
>> communism and its spread outward from Earth, and (to me) didn't seem to
>> be very well written.  Part of that may have been from the translation.
>> But I found myself wondering if the books had been intended to be
>> propaganda-ish: "look at how bad the Russians are at writing SF!"
> before the fall of communism (in Russia) EVERYTHING had to have
> propaganda-ish value, else it (and its creator) were suppressed.

Perhaps to clarify: I thought that perhaps the books were *American*
propaganda.  It seemed unlikely to me that out of the entire field
of Russian SF, the editors/publishers couldn't collect a set of
not-too-long stories for a not-too-long anthology that were good
reading.  Maybe it's a "Sturgeon's Law" thing.  Perhaps 90% of the
field was crap, but I expect that the people behind an anthology will be
gatekeepers of a sort, filtering out the less-good material to create a
book worth reading.

Joel