[LMB] Heinlein and Bujold

Richard G. Molpus rgmolpus at flash.net
Fri Oct 8 18:32:28 BST 2021

 During the Soviet era, only authors who were members in good standing with the official Writer's and Author's union could be published; the rules for 'good standing; included a requirement that their work be agreeable with existing political dogma of the USSR communist party.

As the official dogma of the USSR had that Marxist theory of history insisted that the eventual result was a 'Worker's Paradise'; works that implied that the future of society wasn't that nice wasn't acceptable. Since much of SF and Fantasy is 'What If' stories, this forces the writers away from real extrapolation of the future and into 'this is what we're going to get'.

It was 'Woke' before 'Woke' was a thing.