[LMB] Spirit Ring, Chapter 3 - magic devices

brazee howard at brazee.net
Fri Oct 8 23:48:44 BST 2021

> On Oct 8, 2021, at 2:16 PM, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The really, really rich don't go in for flash, if only because they're
> trying to distinguish themselves along class lines, and flash is what most
> people would go for.  They tend to go for items that are visibly
> high-quality, but modestly decorated.
>
> There are other ways of showing off one's supposed discernment.  It's
> well-demonstrated that very few people have sufficiently sensitive senses
> of taste and smell to detect the differences that it's claimed distinguish
> different varieties of wine; it's also well-demonstrated that the bottle in
> which wine is presented tends to determine how that wine is perceived.
> Conformity to expectation is a way of establishing status that everyone
> tends to use, regardless of what specific expectations are involved.

One aspect of showing off is who one wants to show off too.

It generally is one’s peers.   For old money people, their peers are old money people.

It reminds me a bit about an older NFL running back who makes a touchdown and “Acts like he’s been there before”.   Old money has different show-off things.

I remember reading about someone who wanted to be accepted by old money who decided to collect Turkish calligraphy.   He basically created an industry collecting it, as it worked very well with that crowd.