[LMB] Heinlein

Peter Hews Peterhews at protonmail.com
Sat Oct 9 12:38:29 BST 2021

On Saturday, October 2nd, 2021 at 21:34, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:

> The movie is a parody of what thoughtless people think the novel is, and
>
> really has nothing to do with the novel.

It amuses me greatly that gun-worshipping soldier fetishists love the movie of "Starship Troopers" without ever noticing that it's a wicked parody of a fascist state.  (And of the Iraq war, but the references are subtle enough to be missed these days.)  It reminds me of the scene in "Iron Sky" where the Nazis on the moon admire a clip from Chaplin's "Great Dictator," with no idea that he's making fun of Hitler.

Peter Hews