[LMB] Heinlein

dbernat dbernat at gol.com
Sat Oct 9 14:08:04 BST 2021

Peter Hews via Lois-Bujold wrote:

> Back in the day, many non-US SF writers had to do their best to write
> American characters in American settings because that was where the
> market was.  Hence perhaps the previous poster's mistake.

It's easy to set a story in one's own culture.

It's much harder to set a story in a culture known only from reading
books on that culture.

Which is, I suppose, why so much fiction on Japan and China* is such a
dreary mess.

*I thought the military adventure set in China that had the male hero
constantly wearing a woman's dress during combat to be particularly
risible.