[LMB] OT Rawling was Heinlein

Karen A. Wyle kawyle at att.net
Sat Oct 9 15:51:02 BST 2021

 I agree. "Fantasy" isn't an excuse for sloppy drafting, inconsistencies, and other such flaws. A fantasy world doesn't have to be based on scientific laws or extrapolations therefrom, but it's not a narrative free-for-all -- unless it's tongue-in-cheek in a particular way that the Harry Potter books aren't.
Karen A. Wyle
    On Saturday, October 9, 2021, 10:47:24 AM EDT, brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> On Oct 9, 2021, at 8:45 AM, tidsel via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> As for Quidditch, it is not meant to be 'rational', for god's sake, you might as well complain that a fairy tale is not realistic.
>>
>> It wouldn’t have been hard to make it rational and fit what she was trying to do. She was lazy.
>
> It is called fantasy. And the kids LOVE it.

It would be fantasy if she fixed the game rules, and the kids would *still* love it.