[LMB] OT Rawling was Heinlein

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Sat Oct 9 19:44:37 BST 2021

On Sat, 9 Oct 2021 14:51:02 +0000 (UTC), "Karen A. Wyle"
<kawyle at att.net> wrote:

> I agree. "Fantasy" isn't an excuse for sloppy drafting, inconsistencies, and other such flaws. A fantasy world doesn't have to be based on scientific laws or extrapolations therefrom, but it's not a narrative free-for-all -- unless it's tongue-in-cheek in a particular way that the Harry Potter books aren't.
>Karen A. Wyle

>>> It wouldn’t have been hard to make it rational and fit what she was trying to do. She was lazy.
>>
>> It is called fantasy. And the kids LOVE it.
>
>It would be fantasy if she fixed the game rules, and the kids would *still* love it.

The snitch is needed later in the story arc, so it had to exist.  The
rules could have been marginally more sensible, though - e.g. when the
snitch is caught, the match is over, without an effect on the score.

That would have made the seekers' roles more strategic - the side
currently losing would be keen to block the winning side's seeker,
rather than catch it themselves.
--
Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color.  -  Don Hirschberg