[LMB] OT: Change blindness

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Sat Oct 9 19:47:02 BST 2021

On Sat, 9 Oct 2021 11:19:54 -0400, WalterStuartBushell <proto at panix.com>
wrote:

>> On Oct 9, 2021, at 7:16 AM, Peter Hews via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> "Change blindness" is often invoked in paranormal works to explain why people don't notice weird stuff around them. In the webcomic “El Goonish Shive” a shape-shifter demonstrates it by repeatedly changing her hair colour when people look away, and when they look back they don’t realise she was a different colour before.
>
>This has been documented in videos. They used different people in very short time differences and the subject
>didn’t seem to notice the person they were talking to had changed.
>
>When you are getting directions do you really care about from whom?

There's a famous video where people are asked to study a basketball
game, and only around 5% of test subjects recall that a man in a gorilla
suit walks across the court.

I *do* hope my liberty never depends on the observation skills of the
average eyewitness.
--
"Fine" doesn't mean fine.  The scale goes: "Great, good, OK, not OK,
I hate you, Fine."  - Two Broke Girls