[LMB] AKICOT:L Comercials

Pouncer pouncer at aol.com
Sun Oct 10 04:15:34 BST 2021

William reports:

 >I have been watching far too many commercials recently.

May I respectfully suggest that watching TV, in general,
often tends to be "too much" ?  Any network, any time
of the day.  I speak as a thoroughly addicted reader, of
course.

But carrying on

 >Both the commercials for cancer in post menopausal women and
 >for prostate cancer warn of problems with pregnancy.
 >Since when can people with prostates or are post menopausal
 >get pregnant?

TMI follows:

I have cancer and a functional, if enlarged, prostate. I am
not a pharmacist or doctor or RN.  I do get a monthly
lecture on this topic, whenever my prescriptions are refilled.

My cancer drug sufficiently contaminates my body fluids
that even small quantities pose a risk of birth defects
in a developing embryo. I should not give blood.  Or plasma.
My functional prostate produces contaminated semen.
Were my wife younger, our nuptial joys would be dangerous
to our potential child. Were I adulterous with a
"person with a womb" -- one already pregnant, even -- I
would risk damage to HER child. My pharmacy doesn't
emphasize the matter but I suspect my spit, sweat, and
tears also pose some small risk of damage (teratogenic, not
mutagenic -- obBujold)  to some babies under some
circumstances.

Since when? Not that who gets pregnant has changed, but
the warning requirements have. Since the 1950s and
thalidomide, I gather. It's still prescribed in this century.
For some cancers. For leprosy. Rare auto-immune disorders...
Prescriptions for thalidomide come with warnings not at
all unlike the ones I hear every month.

Or, an alternate hypothesis, it's since we invented
second-hand smoke. Since we've decided the prime user's
exhalations endanger a secondary proximate person's
health, we elevate the level of protections to those
persons by warnings and restrictions on the primary
consumer of the product. Protections for pregnant
persons or persons potentially pregnable, and their
progeny, seem to me to be the most reasonable of
such efforts.

If aspirin were newly discovered, approved, and
marketed today, our governments would likely require
your TV commercials to list all the potential side
effects and hazards testing has revealed:

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/aspirin-side-effects.html

To the extent there's a problem it's less with the
warnings -- which should be discussed in Q&A between
patients and providers -- and more with the commercials.
Laymen are being encouraged to self-diagnose and
self-prescribe. And the warnings on any drug are
so similar to the warnings on any other drug, we
are all being conditioned to tune-out; disregard
any warnings as time-wasting boilerplate.

https://www.avg.com