[LMB] OT: Change blindness

Peter Hews Peterhews at protonmail.com
Sun Oct 10 09:41:04 BST 2021

On Sunday, October 10th, 2021 at 04:27, Raymond Collins <rcrcoll6 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I suspect it might have something to do with short term memory. Basically
>
> the brain doesn't think its important enough to store the information in
>
> the memory banks (so to speak) that's why witnesses are so unreliable.
>
> There is a class exercise where the students suddenly witnesses a event in
>
> class and has to describe the incident and those involved. Many of students
>
> get it wrong.

There's also mental editing, where we recall what "must" have happened.  My favourite example was one where a couple of men burst into a lecture, one of them stabbed the other with a banana, and they ran out.  Almost everyone reported that he'd been stabbed with a knife, because it couldn't have been a banana, could it?

More ominous was another where a black and a white man ran in and the white man stabbed the black man.  When interviewed afterwards more than half the class recalled that the black man had stabbed the white man.  That was in the 70s, I'd like to hope that if it were repeated today the results would be different.

Peter Hews