[LMB] Cloning?

Peter Hews Peterhews at protonmail.com
Sun Oct 10 12:05:36 BST 2021

On Sunday, October 10th, 2021 at 02:12, Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I don't have a problem with cloned parts being grown, like the organs
>
> described in LMB's books: Miles's new organs, Professora Vorthys's
>
> heart, and so on. I'm not even terribly offended by the idea of an
>
> acephalic body being grown for organs to be harvested from. I hate the
>
> idea of a person being brought to maturity for that purpose with a mind,
>
> and then killed.

In Bass' "The Godwhale," clones raised for organ harvesting are brought to maturity with no human contact, so they never develop language.  The people of the time consider that sufficient reason to regard them as animals to be slaughtered at need.  But the hero, brought forward from a time much nearer ours, is horrified and refuses to be given new legs at the price of the clone's life.

Peter Hews