[LMB] OT Rawling was Heinlein

tidsel egern at protonmail.com
Sun Oct 10 12:32:28 BST 2021

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Saturday, October 9th, 2021 at 4:51 PM, Karen A. Wyle <kawyle at att.net> wrote:

> I agree. "Fantasy" isn't an excuse for sloppy drafting, inconsistencies, and other such flaws. A fantasy world doesn't have to be based on scientific laws or extrapolations therefrom, but it's not a narrative free-for-all -- unless it's tongue-in-cheek in a particular way that the Harry Potter books aren't.

I am a bit amazed - this woman has gotten thousands of kids off the games and into reading for the first time, including incidentally my own stepson, and it has opened up topics no one talked about. Wildly popular books written at first by a desperate mom to get by. And all you can do is raise your teacher fingers and say 'fy fy - you make mistakes and fantasy does not mean that you just use your imagination, of course - there has be RULES.'

Fortunately a lot of both children and adults (who may not have forgotten their childhood) simply go along for the ride and zoom along on a broomstick - WHEEEEEE :-)))