[LMB] OT Rawling was Heinlein

brazee howard at brazee.net
Sun Oct 10 17:06:13 BST 2021

> On Oct 10, 2021, at 6:37 AM, tidsel via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> As for Quidditch, it is not meant to be 'rational', for god's sake, you might as well complain that a fairy tale is not realistic.
>>
>> It wouldn’t have been hard to make it rational and fit what she was trying to do. She was lazy.
>
> What was she trying to do, in your opinion?
> It is a bit easy to just say an author is 'lazy', don't you think?

She wanted a game where the protagonist could be the hero.   She didn’t bother to think through the rules and realize that the rest of the game was meaningless.   Well, I expect other people told her that, so she showed us that it isn’t *absolutely* meaningless.   But I little thought or some peer review could have allowed her to have her desired effect without the problem.