[LMB] OT: Ivermectin (was: Comercials

Peter Hews Peterhews at protonmail.com
Sun Oct 10 18:52:29 BST 2021

On Sunday, October 10th, 2021 at 16:34, Matija Grabnar via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:

> On 10/10/2021 15:20, WILLIAM A WENRICH wrote:
>
> > There are many drugs that have different uses. At one time my mother-in-law was prescribed the same drug as her dog.
> >
> > I think that the constant calling of this medication as”horse dewormer” is political and specifically US politics.
>
> Unfortunately, the idiots who take horse medicine in the false hope to
>
> be protected from a disease from which they'd be better protected by a
>
> vaccine, are not confined to the US. I wish they were.

Speaking as an idiot who has had some in the refrigrator for the last year, as a last-ditch treatment if our protections failed, I didn't take my guidance from Trump but from European and African researchers.  The substitution of political belief for scientific evidence is not confined to the right.

I got my vaccinations as soon as I could, but I'm keeping my "horse wormer" just in case, because 80% protection is not certainty.  And for a great many people in Africa vaccination is still not an available option; so their doctors (being ignorant savages) use what they have empirically established works, without waiting for the blessing of the WHO.  Doctors in France have done the same when desperate, and it worked there too.

Peter Hews