[LMB] OT Rawling was Heinlein

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Sun Oct 10 21:59:15 BST 2021

Supposedly the real quote is:

"Fairy tales, then, are not responsible for producing in children fear,
or any of the shapes of fear; fairy tales do not give the child the idea
of the evil or the ugly; that is in the child already, because it is in
the world already. Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of
bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the
possible defeat of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever
since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St.
George to kill the dragon. Exactly what the fairy tale does is this: it
accustoms him for a series of clear pictures to the idea that these
limitless terrors had a limit, that these shapeless enemies have enemies
in the knights of God, that there is something in the universe more
mystical than darkness, and stronger than strong fear."

- G. K. Chesterton, Tremendous Trifles (1909)

I have a copy of that Chesterton book, so could verify this, but not til
later this week.

Or maybe the book's in Project Gutenberg?

Alayne