[LMB] OT Rowling (not Rawling)

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 11 07:12:00 BST 2021

Peter Hews <Peterhews at protonmail.com> wrote:
> Aren't they?  I saw it, like the weird currency, as Carrolian absurdity
> not meant to make sense - something children appreciate much more
> than most adults.  You might as well complain that the White Knight's
> inventions would never work.

I'm sure that a lot of it was intentional absurdity.  To me,
it stretched plausibility a bit too far -- it was hard to accept
that "real" people would put up with some of the more dangerous
incongruities.  Too high a proportion of wizards would have to be
idiots.  They weren't supposed to be fantastic bizarre creatures in a
dreamlike world; they were supposed to be rational beings with jobs,
living lives that could be compared to ours.

And one must remember that Carroll's books were intended for readers of
all ages.  There's a *lot* of satirical stuff and cultural references
that would only be caught by adults, though nowadays almost nobody would
recognise them.  I recommend Martin Gardner's _The Annotated Alice_.

Joel