[LMB] OT Rawling was Heinlein

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Mon Oct 11 15:13:00 BST 2021

On Sat, 9 Oct 2021 21:04:45 +0100, Matija Grabnar via Lois-Bujold
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:

>On 09/10/2021 19:44, Marc Wilson wrote:
>> The snitch is needed later in the story arc, so it had to exist.  The
>> rules could have been marginally more sensible, though - e.g. when the
>> snitch is caught, the match is over, without an effect on the score.
>>
>> That would have made the seekers' roles more strategic - the side
>> currently losing would be keen to block the winning side's seeker,
>> rather than catch it themselves.
>
>Oooh, I like that idea. Simple and elegant and seamless.

I try to be all three, with varying degrees of success.  I mean, who
wants to be seamy? :)

>The other thing that annoyed me was the house scores. I have this
>impression that in each year, Gryffindor would be lagging behind other
>houses, and then they would get awarded just enough points to win for
>some spurious, ad-hoc reason.
>
>Even though I was rooting for Harry's house, it offended my sense of
>fairness.

This.  Some of the solutions seemed a bit .... lawyery.

I have the same issue with some of Piers Antony's work, where a bit of
glib speech and some handwavium reverses an obvious outcome.
--
To govern is always to choose among disadvantages.  - Charles de Gaulle