[LMB] OT: Change blindness

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Mon Oct 11 18:35:29 BST 2021

On Sat, 9 Oct 2021 21:27:15 -0500, Raymond Collins <rcrcoll6 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>I suspect it might have something to do with short term memory. Basically
>the brain doesn't think its important enough to store the information in
>the memory banks (so to speak) that's why witnesses are so unreliable.
>There is a class exercise where the students suddenly witnesses a event in
>class and has to describe the incident and those involved. Many of students
>get it wrong.

It's also distraction (this is how "magic" works); they were instructed
to take note of something else.

>On Sat, Oct 9, 2021, 1:47 PM Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:

>> people don't notice weird stuff around them. In the webcomic “El Goonish
>> Shive” a shape-shifter demonstrates it by repeatedly changing her hair
>> colour when people look away, and when they look back they don’t realise
>> she was a different colour before.
>> >
>> >This has been documented in videos. They used different people in very
>> short time differences and the subject
>> >didn’t seem to notice the person they were talking to had changed.
>> >
>> >When you are getting directions do you really care about from whom?
>>
>> There's a famous video where people are asked to study a basketball
>> game, and only around 5% of test subjects recall that a man in a gorilla
>> suit walks across the court.
>>
>> I *do* hope my liberty never depends on the observation skills of the
>> average eyewitness.
>> --
>> "Fine" doesn't mean fine.  The scale goes: "Great, good, OK, not OK,
>> I hate you, Fine."  - Two Broke Girls
>>
>> --

Go not to the Net for answers, for it will tell you Yes and no.
And you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even
ask the question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many
blonde lawyers does it take to change a lightbulb.