[LMB] Cloning?

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Tue Oct 12 04:31:15 BST 2021

On Sat, Oct 09, 2021 at 10:26:30PM +0000, WILLIAM A WENRICH wrote:
> Has there been any any cloning shown in the nexus except for the Jackson Whole body Leggers (a take on organleggers which is a take on bootleggers).

Mark is a clone, I think done by House Bharaputra but not for the usual
brain-transplant reasons.  The Durona group was mentioned.

Cordelia's talk to Mark states that cloning is a thing that could happen
on Beta.

"What am I, to you as a Betan?" he asked, nervously fascinated.

"Either my son or my son once removed," she answered promptly.
"Unlicensed, but claimed by me as an heir."

"Those are actual legal categories, on your homeworld?"

"You bet. Now, if I had ordered you cloned from Miles, after getting an
approved child-license first of course, you would be my son pure and
simple. If Miles as a legal adult had done the same, he would be your
legal parent and I would be your mother-once-removed, and bear claims
upon you and obligations to you approximately the equivalent of a
grandparent. Miles was not, of course, a legal adult at the time you
were cloned, nor was your birth licensed. If you were still a minor, he
and I could go before an Adjudicator, and your guardianship would be
assigned according to the Adjudicator's best judgment of your welfare.
You are no longer, of course, a minor in either Betan or Barrayaran
law." She sighed. "The time for legal guardianship is past. Lost. The
inheritance of property will mostly be tangled in the Barrayaran legal
confusions. Aral will discuss Barrayaran customary law, or the lack of
it, with you when the time comes. That leaves our emotional
relationship."

Tangentially, touching line by Aral:

The Count shrugged. "Whatever Miles is, we made him. You are perhaps
wise to approach us with caution. We may not be good for you, either."

> We have no way of adjusting length of the tolemers which would be

Not an issue for the Nexus.

-xx- Damien X-)