[LMB] Reading in different languages

Elizabeth Holden alzurite at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 06:40:20 BST 2021

Eric Oppen, after teasing us terribly, tells me about:

> Evertype.com is the place to go.  They have Alice in quite a few languages
> and dialects.

Oh my goodness. This is the kind of place that I could obsess over. They
even have books in Esperanto, some of which I have read!

I tried the game of looking up a familiar book - I picked The Hobbit first
- to see if I could guess each of the languages it was translated into
before looking at the description. I was about 50% right, but surprised
they don't have it in Latin. On the other hand, it's clear Latin isn't
their mandate. If it did exist in Latin I assume it would be called
"Hobitus", and I would already own it. Just to make sure, I did a quick
google search and discovered, I think, that this is the name of the book in
Latvian. Maybe. Anyway, back to this wonderful website...

The Mohenra Singh version of Alice in Wonderland with goatrs looks
irresistible, and I don't even like Alice in Wonderland.

Love all those books in constructed languages, some of which I never heard
of. Surely Klingon should be there, if not Dothraki. I wouldn't expect
Belter, but I  live in hope. And it has Jane Eyre in Scots!  A "weel-kent
camin-o-age novel" indeed.

What a fabulous place to browse.

namaste,
Elizabeth