[LMB] OT: AIHABF

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 13 08:36:57 BST 2021

From: Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk>

On Sun, 10 Oct 2021 16:40:57 -0500, Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com>
wrote:
>You luck!  I've always wanted to fly in a balloon!

It's ... odd.  When the burner isn't running, there's very little noise,
as you're floating with the wind.  You can float over someone's garden,
several hundred feet up, and chat to them.
The landing (which is more of a controlled crash, IME) is probably the
most exciting part.

Gwynne: I'm terrified of heights, I can't even climb a ladder. When my
father turned 80 we gave him a hot-air-balloon ride and somehow the
family elected me to go with him. I decided to spend the whole time
with my eyes closed. So off we went.
And it was amazing. I could look out, and straight down, without feeling
that sick panic and paralysis. We just floated, silently, and I loved every
minute, leaning out and looking at everything.
Yes, the landing was interesting. But the trip was well worth it.