[LMB] Cloning?

Richard G. Molpus rgmolpus at flash.net
Wed Oct 13 16:25:54 BST 2021

 A clone heir faces a near-insurmountable obstacle: Political acceptance. Had Mark, fully grown and clean-limbed appeared, everyone would have recognized that he was an agent provocateur, sent to start multiple political fights.

  Aral and Cordelia would have accepted him into the Vorkosigan family, but what would Gregor have done? Or Vorhalas? or Vormoncrief?
If Gregor refuses him political acceptance; refused to allow him to become Arals' successor, or any for of heir - and the Council of Counts does the same; the Mark is unimportant. The family night send him to Hassidar; to be a local official; but in Vorbarr Sultana he'd be a ghost,

Kidnapping Miles, doing a brain transplant into the MARK vII body, and sending his back would have been a real conundrum. Miles had been politically accepted, in his stunted, abridged form, and now he's a look-a-like to Ivan! Line Miles MkII, Ivan and Gregor together, and it's like looking at triplets!
That puts a cat into the hen house!

    On Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 09:20:42 AM CDT, Kathy Collett <kcollett at hamilton.edu> wrote:

 On Oct 13, 2021, at 9:57 AM, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:

> Ser Galen had a very limited imagination. What if Mark had not been squeezed into a Miles size and shape but had been allowed to grow strong and healthy with a Komarran mindset and introduced on Barrayar as a nonmutie heir to Aral? The political disruption would almost been as bad as the assassination attempt.

And much more likely to succeed in that disruption, at least initially.  Ser Galen did not understand Aral and Cordelia at all, to have thought only about assassination (and only of Aral!).  They would have taken Mark in as their child, as they did, even knowing about the political disruption it might cause.  Having a “normal” heir (but a Komarran clone? not sure the Counts would go for that anyway) would certainly have caused problems, but I have faith in Aral and Cordelia that they would have been able to work things out for Miles AND Mark.

Katherine
Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to rgmolpus at flash.net
Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk