[LMB] OT: AIHABF

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Wed Oct 13 23:24:33 BST 2021

On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 07:36:57 +0000, Gwynne Powell
<gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:

>From: Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk>
>
>On Sun, 10 Oct 2021 16:40:57 -0500, Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>>You luck!  I've always wanted to fly in a balloon!
>
>It's ... odd.  When the burner isn't running, there's very little noise,
>as you're floating with the wind.  You can float over someone's garden,
>several hundred feet up, and chat to them.
>The landing (which is more of a controlled crash, IME) is probably the
>most exciting part.
>
>Gwynne: I'm terrified of heights, I can't even climb a ladder. When my
>father turned 80 we gave him a hot-air-balloon ride and somehow the
>family elected me to go with him. I decided to spend the whole time
>with my eyes closed. So off we went.
>And it was amazing. I could look out, and straight down, without feeling
>that sick panic and paralysis. We just floated, silently, and I loved every
>minute, leaning out and looking at everything.
>Yes, the landing was interesting. But the trip was well worth it.

AIUI, when you have a physical connection with the ground (e.g. you're
on top of a cliff, or a building, or whatever) it's somehow more
frightening than when you're suspended in mid-air.

I've met people who can't go out on hotel balconies - having flown to
the resort.

I'm not sure what the mechanism is, here, unless that it's simply that
evolution hasn't prepared anything for our mental toolkit to deal with
flying.
--
HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE: This Product Contains Minute
 Electrically Charged Particles Moving at Velocities in Excess of