[LMB] The Most Influential Sci-Fi Books Of All Time

Elizabeth Holden alzurite at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 05:38:23 BST 2021

Raymond Collins said:

> I would think "Sranger in a Strange Land" would be Heinlein's most
> influential book since also it introduced a word to the vocabulary. Grok.

It was the one I had heard of when I was not yet into science fiction.

> Samuel R. Delaney's book "Babel 17" I'd agree with.

I haven't read it, so I'd put Dhalgren on the list instead. Which I have
read. But I don't know how much either of them are known outside of SF
circles. Maybe the article means "influential within SF circles", though.

>  And Of course LMB's "Civil Campaign"

Why that, rather than another of her books?

>  I think Zelazny's Amber series

Probably.

>  as well as J. R.R. Tolkien should have been on this list

Tolkien wrote fantasy, not science fiction. He is perhaps the only person I
know of to have written linguistic fiction, and got away with it.

> Fritz Lieber

How so?
.
namaste,