[LMB] OT: Change blindness

WalterStuartBushell proto at panix.com
Thu Oct 14 11:16:43 BST 2021

> On Oct 14, 2021, at 3:34 AM, Peter Hews via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:
>
> I can think of at least one (not counting those, like Loki, who've changed sex temporarily.) The Japanese Goddess Kwannon or Kwanyin is reckoned by historians to have originally been the male Boddhisatva Avalokitashvara.

Below I am talking about realized boddhisattvas instead of humans on the path. which can also
be called boddhisttvas.

The Bodhisattvas used to be human beings who qualified for total enlightenment and turned it down
in order to help all sentient (capable of suffering) beings to achieve enlightenment and hence are
more analogous to Christian saints than gods. They are conceived of as beings who have wish granting
powers based on merit (and grace in the case of the saints). In forms of Buddhism with boddhisttavas one
is supposed to aspire to become a boddhisttava and is in fact inevitable in time.

The distinctions may be lost on some practitioners of both religions being to fine a distinction.
—
It’s better to be approximately correct than completely wrong.