[LMB] Heinlein

WalterStuartBushell proto at panix.com
Sat Oct 16 12:59:58 BST 2021

> On Oct 16, 2021, at 5:35 AM, Peter Hews via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:
>
> I used to call this "Heinlein's syndrome" till I encountered the works of L Ron Hubbard, and found how much worse it could get when the author actually owned the publishing house.
>
> Peter Hews

His fiction was among the least of his crimes against humanity.

For his purposes the worse the fiction the better; for the same reason
as people run the Nigerian Prince Scam, if you get a response the
probability of a bite is much higher than than that of the general population,
because you have eliminated people with any common sense.

Then there are the alleged psychics who advertise that they can reunite you with
your ex even if they are dead. Which brings to mind the question, “How many
bullets would it take to reunite the Beatles?”.

—
It is wrong, always, everywhere, and for everyone, to believe anything upon insufficient evidence.” —W. K. Clifford (1845–1879), “The Ethics” My take is belief should be proportional to the evidence.