[LMB] OT: Ivermectin (was: Comercials

Louann Miller domelouann at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 18:58:19 BST 2021

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 8:38 AM Karen A. Wyle <kawyle at att.net> wrote:

>  The radio show "Hidden Brain" had an episode recently about cognitive
> dissonance, which discussed how invested people become in their beliefs in
> various scams.

I have always been a fan of "people doing weird things for weird reasons"
nonfiction books. For sheer historical breadth and charmingly archaic
language, nothing can match "extraordinary popular delusion and the madness
of crowds" by Charles MacKay, 1841. But I've also read the sociology case
study "When Prophecy Fails" where the term cognitive dissonance was first
coined. And of course, Carl Sagan's book "The Demon Haunted World."

IMO, everyone needs to know about cognitive dissonance. Not especially
because people believe X which I think is laughably wrong. People need to
know about it because at some point or another, ALL of us are going to get
something laughably wrong. Therefore we all need to know that This Is A
Thing Humans Do, so that we can be aware of the risk of either doing so
ourselves or of having people around us do it.

Louann