[LMB] Spirit Ring: Artist vs Artisan

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 24 12:49:58 BST 2021

From: Margaret Dean <margdean56 at gmail.com>

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 10:19 AM brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
> > Very well put, and I absolutely agree.

I would revise that to say, "that has no *other* purpose." Arguably the
purpose of a work of art is to be what it is ... but I agree about the
respect due to the skilled artisan whose work is beautiful as well as
functional.
--Margaret Dean

Gwynne: The purpose of art is to show us the world as it is, or as it could be.
To tell a story, to immortalise an important moment in history, or a person
who should be remembered. To give a moment of pure admiration of style
and form. To take the ordinary and show us that it's beautiful. To set standards
in style and creativity. To support a cause. To give an identity to an idea or
a group. To nurture the spirit. To help us raise our eyes from the mundane.

Mind you, I agree that one of the best forms of art is to produce something that
has purpose as well as style. But art for art's sake has many reasons to exist, too.