[LMB] OT: Yankee in Space

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Sun Oct 24 16:46:53 BST 2021

On 24/10/2021 15:51, brazee wrote:
> Oh, people (of all backgrounds)in the future will certainly have *my* values, because… well, because of course they will.

I mean, if the people in the future don't share my values, then what's
the point of the future? :-) :-)

Re what someone mentioned of Heinlein, who had Rico (from Phillipines)
behave like an American kid, and not like a Phillipino at all, I think
it was his way of saying "You know, they are just like us, not inferior
at all". But then it occurred to me, when he was talking about the
ladies in his life, they were much like men as well, flying spaceships
and not really interested in hairdos of what hat is all the rage in Paris.

I wonder if, had we been dropped into a world 100 years in our future,
we might not either concentrate on some difference that would appear
inconsequential to the people of the later time, or concentrating on how
much they are just like us.

I suppose different people would have a different reaction.