[LMB] OT: Yankee in Space

Louann Miller domelouann at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 16:58:43 BST 2021

On Sun, Oct 24, 2021 at 10:18 AM WalterStuartBushell <proto at panix.com>
wrote:

> What about “Sir Isaac Newton” et. al. from _Between Planets_,Valentine
> Michael
> Smith (and the Martians in several cases) and the _Star Beast_ and Mr.
> Kiku?
>
> Compared to these the differences among human groups are as nothing.

There's a considerable amount of comedy relief with Heinlein's nonhuman
aliens, especially in the juveniles.  Valentine Michael, I grant you. That
may be the primary example in his work of the reader being asked to
identify with a main character who doesn't take the same things for granted
that the reader does.