[LMB] American Politics STOP Re: OT: Ivermectin (was: Comercials

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 24 17:56:06 BST 2021

WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:
> Excuse me but not every criticism of government is of the government in
> the US. Since Gwynne is Australian, I, for one, didn't read it that way.

I, too, saw nothing American in Gwynne's comments.  We're seeing exactly
the same patterns in Canada.  Most of our provinces have COVID well
under control, but a couple of the others have medical systems that
have been overwhelmed by COVID cases, and have had to send patients to
other provinces.  The troubled provinces have Conservative governments
and populations that have that far-right-wing-ish outlook: distrust of
the vaccines, resistance to wearing masks, politicians who have tried
to capitalize on fear and the idea of personal "freedom" ahead of the
common good even when that "freedom" is potentially self-harming.

For a few weeks late in the summer, Alberta was going to completely
drop all requirements that people who tested positive do any kind
of isolation, and was going to drop most testing.  They claimed that
the COVID problem was essentially over, so everything could go back to
normal.  They found out fairly quickly that they were very, very wrong,
but the damage was done.

Currently, the Ottawa Hospital has about half a dozen COVID cases from
the local population, roughly half in Intensive Care and the rest in a
separate ward on the main floor.  IIRC, as of a few days ago they were
expecting to take in a couple of dozen patients from Saskatchewan.  Last
year, the hospital added a new temporary structure to house COVID cases.
I believe that it did see some use when things were at their worst here,
but at present it's empty.

Joel