[LMB] [LMB} ot: recommending Georgette Heyer

Kathy Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Mon Oct 25 23:03:07 BST 2021

On Oct 25, 2021, at 3:43 PM, Elizabeth Stowe <estowe427 at gmail.com> wrote:

> For great fun and romance, I recommend The Talisman Ring, Faro's Daughter, and Cotillion.

And The Unknown Ajax, I think!

> For hilarious characters, try False Colours, the Great Sophy, and No Wind of Blame (one of Heyer's contemporary detective tales).

I would put Reluctant Widow here (particularly the feckless brother),

> To glimpse some fashion plates of 18th century England -- wearing wigs, wrist ruffles, and panniers (hoops) -- who also enjoyed more riotous living than characters did in the sedate Regency, delve into These Old Shades, Devil's Cub, and The Masqueraders. Beauvallet is a swashbuckler in the style of Sabatini's Captain Blood.
>
> For slightly older heroes and heroines, check out Sprig Muslin, The Quiet Gentleman, Black Sheep, and The Reluctant Widow.

Another category would be the ones with tear-jerking sections, with at least Friday’s Child and Venetia.  Oh, and Frederica, but only briefly.

There could almost be a category of grey-eyed heroines named Hetty or similar, it sometimes seems!

Nice to see you back!

Katherine