[LMB] [LMB} ot: recommending Georgette Heyer

Kathy Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Wed Oct 27 17:12:11 BST 2021

On Oct 27, 2021, at 5:26 AM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:

> One of the joys of reading Heyer, I've discovered lately, is to reread one of
> the books that didn't become one of my favourites on first reading. With
> age and experience (I won't claim wisdom), I see different aspects of the
> characters, and the situation. Some of my not-so-great list have lately
> become firm favourites.

Same!  When I read Sylvester: or, The Wicked Uncle years ago, the scene where Phoebe is embarrassed by Sylvester at the ball loomed so large in my mind that I wrote off the whole book as too embarrassing.  But a few years ago I picked it up again and that scene shrank amazingly.  It’s still there, and I may read through those pages rather quickly, but the hilarity of the part of the story where they’re in France with Sylvester’s small nephew way more than makes up for it.

Katherine